Saturday, August 16, 2008

More vacation pics...

If you haven't checked the blog for some time, you might want to look at the entry immediately below this one as well, as I uploaded some videos last night.

I'm still sitting here in this spartan Red Roof Inn somewhere in the outposts of Boston, and am getting ready to hail a cab and attempt to come home today, as my flight last night was canceled. I'm going to post a hodgepodge of photos from my trips the last couple of weeks but will probably hold the commentary to a minimum.

Here are some photos I snapped on a tour of Harvard's campus. I was in a daze that day, as we often were up until after midnight doing homework, so unfortunately, I remember little about specific building names, etc.





Here is the quintessential "Ivy Leaguers studying under a massive shady tree" shot...
A statue of John Harvard. What I do remember from this tour is that a fire burned down all of his personal books and portraits, so that by the time this statue was erected, no one knew what he actually looked like. This statue is called the "Statue of Three Lies". The plaque says "John Harvard, Founder, 1638". We already know the statue was not in the likeness of John Harvard. Also, he was a contributor but not the actual founder. And the school was founded in 1636.


This was our tour guide. She is studying cultural anthropology, and was very typical of the Harvard students I encountered. Supremely self-confident, outgoing, and very type A.


This is an example of why it breaks my heart that so many colleges received an insurgence of funding in the 1960's and 1970's. This is the Science Center building, and is apparently universally considered an eyesore by students and faculty alike.
Here is a picture of our mock "graduation" ceremony at the end of the Harvard Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians .
This is my discussion group. There were about 100 librarians enrolled in the seminar, but we were also assigned to smaller discussion groups that met each day to discuss each others' case studies. It really turned out to be much more like group therapy. I met several people in my group that I would like to keep up with in the future. There were some great folks with great ideas in my group!

On to Vermont... These pictures will be somewhat out of order, as Blogger is acting up today....

We took Sadie to Pizza Putt a couple of times to play in the room of inflatables and the ball pits.... She found another little girl the first time named Addy, I think, and they stuck together like glue... Here they are in the ball pit pretending to be sleeping...

Aunt Sylvia introduces Sadie to Uncle David's pheasants...

The beautiful main structure on the grounds of Shelburne Farms.


On the tractor ride around Shelburne Farms...




Aunt Diane takes Sadie into the chicken building on the Nichols Farm.

Sadie pushing a wheelbarrow...
And riding a tractor...
Stomping around Shelburne Farms with big wader boots... There's a cute film of this in the entry below...
Though you can't really see it, Sadie is milking a cow here! There are some better pictures of this coming in the mail from Aunt Sylvia and I will post them when I get the disc...


This is Uncle David and Aunt Diane's house on the farm. The house is at the tail end of a mile long gravel road and is very isolated and peaceful. There are wild turkeys and even coyotes that cross the property.


A view of Mount Philo from the farm...
Sadie talks to the chickens...

Another shot of Aunt Diane hoisting Sadie around the chicken building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home