Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Labor Day- Camping photos

So, we spent the weekend camping at Grayson Highlands State Park in Western NC with a few other families. This was the same trip we attempted to do last Labor Day, but we had to return home when Sadie became ill. So gee- 2 out of the 5 times we've attempted to vacation in the VA mountains as family have been successes! I feel drunk with power now!

Anyway, I had a great time, though I am having to adjust to camping with a small child. Redmond and I started camping together around 1991, and we became accustomed to camping being a very laid-back, relaxed activity involving hikes during the day oand sitting around in camp chairs being lazy in the evening. There is no lazy allowed when you have an almost-three year old who is in constant motion and cannot be contained in a small tent. Sadie wanted to climb every tree, visit every camp site, and scale every rock. I'm hoping we can squeeze one more camping trip in this fall. She seems to really enjoy being outdoors.

I captured Sadie standing on a tree stump playing a great orator. I think this is her presidential campaign speech. I have no idea what she's saying, though I can pick out some phrases like "spooky hour" (a book she likes), owl, and elephant.



We set off another one of Redmond's rockets in a nearby field.



We are on the Rhododendron Trail at the park and Sadie is concerned that we aren't getting enough to eat, so she offers both Redmond and me a piece of "pie".



Our group took a hike on Sunday morning up the Rhododendron Trail at Massie Gap to the AT, where we did some rock scrambling. Here are Dad, Rachel, Milo, Susan, and Karen. And of course, Redmond in the front...
Whenever Sadie became tired, Daddy would give her a lift...
A lovely view of a knob in the distance. If you look down to the road, that's where we parked.
We stop for a rest to make sure Sadie is hydrated...
More boulder scrambling...
Susan, Karen, someone behind Karen, Milo and Sadie
Nice view...
This is a huckleberry bush... The kids had so much fun climbing up in the bushes and picking huckleberries, which we added to our pancakes the next day. We also found many ripe blackberries along the trail. Sadie proudly announced that she climbed the tree all by herself. That's Milo scaling the bush with Sadie.
Redmond looking like an Irish farmer taking a rest in the field while the kids pick berries...
Picnic area at Massie Gap.

A still of Sadie making her big speech...
Our tent, which managed to stay dry through a heavy rainstorm...
Molly, being cute.
In the field, getting ready to launch a rocket...
Sadie, Alex, Claudia, Henry, Lucie, Redmond and unidentified girl setting up rockets...


Jen, Molly, Josh, Susan, two little unidentified girls in our campground, Milo, Karen, Sadie and Alex, all getting ready to launch a rocket...


Milo, Karen, Lucie's torso and Sadie.
Redmond playing a paddle game with Lucie.

I swore I would not do the princess thing with Sadie. I was not a "princess" type when I was a girl and the "princess" culture in which little girls often engage is a bit over the top for my tastes. I am a dyed-in-the-wool feminist, for goodness sake! However, Sadie likes to dress up in all kinds of costumes- pirates, animals, and yes, princesses, and I think it would be a bit much for m e to impose my own particular prejudices on my daughter. She has the right to try on different roles and different identities and explore all the myriad ways to express herself. So, anyway, I digress... Mom picked up this princess outfit and Sadie just loves it. Sigh... Here it is...

1 Comments:

Blogger kaycee said...

Did you call Chris "Dad?"

Sadie's "stump speech" is pretty amazing. I was wondering what was going on as I walked by to go to the bath house.

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Ours are up now in the Boo Blog Annex.

Sadie looks adorable in that princess dress! How could you not indulge her.

Hope to see y'all again soon.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home