Tuesday, October 09, 2007

More pictures, videos

Here's a few pictures from our trip to the mountains. I say "a few" because my dingbat self left my memory card at home, so we had a very limited number of pictures we could take on the camera.

Redmond has always been a fan of taking pictures of "microfauna". When we lived in Montana and Yellowstone, he was forever bending over a tiny flower taking pictures. One day, perhaps I'll pull all the years of outdoor photos we've taken and scan them and start a blog on our past and current travels.

Here, he captured some interesting mushrooms. Redmond sure is a "fun-gi".



We rarely see red foliage this far south, but we found a crimson tree at the park. By the time you approach Mt Rogers, the flora is more reminiscent of New England than that of the Southern Appalachians. As we climbed in altitude, the scent of Balsam Fir was quite thick, and that's a scent I really associate with Maine.

While our trees in the Triangle are changing from green to brown due to drought, the foliage in the mountains of Virginia is progressing quite nicely.

The rock formations on the Wilburn Ridge trail can be quite challenging to climb, and have amazing views from the top. There is no way I would have attempted to take Sadie on this trail.


Here's Redmond, squeezing his way through "Fat Man's Squeeze" on the AT in Mt. Rogers Recreation Area. If you want more info on how to find this fun crevice/cave, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home