Monday, September 29, 2008

Pullen Park trip

It's been an interesting two weeks. Last weekend, Redmond, Sadie and I headed over to Pullen Park in Raleigh to meet up with Dana, Finley, Griffin and Amelia. We planned a picnic lunch and some train, boat and carousel rides. I can't believe in the 12 years I've lived in the Triangle area that I have never checked out this park. The carousel dates from 1912 and was moved to Pullen Park in 1915. There's a small train that follows the perimeter of the park and is a huge hit with kids. There are also small kiddie boat rides and larger, paddle boats for rent. Picnic spots abound. Our picnic spot was surrounded by large, lush trees, rocks to climb, and boarded a small lake with hungry, begging mallard ducks.

Unfortunately, I somehow misplaced our camera for the next two weeks and assumed it had been stolen at Pullen Park. I found it this weekend, just before we were heading out the door to purchase another camera.

Last Sunday, we met Josh, Jen, Alex and Molly at the Marbles Museum. And this Saturday, Sadie returned to Marbles to see Anne, Elizabeth and Max. Of course, given that I did not have my camera, Sadie managed to be "increasingly adorable" the last couple of weeks(see SNL, Tina Fey/Sarah Palin skit).

Right now, everything is Halloween, Halloween, Halloween. I found a plethora of costumes at thrift stores, and I've just been collecting them as dress up clothes. Almost every night after dinner, she decides which costume she wants to wear and then does whatever she would normally do in the evening, but as a witch or a mummy.

We're busy trying to get the house into some reasonable form of shape for Sadie's upcoming birthday party. It's a holy wreck!

Here are some pictures and films I actually did manage to take before I misplaced my camera.

Sadie and Griffin are riding in the kiddie boat at Pullen Park. Sadie was thrilled to discover the bell, and we were thrilled that she didn't jump out of the boat.



Here we are on the train ride. Griffin was definitely single minded about the train ride that day. I think we ended up riding about three times!



Here's the historic carousel... You can see us in the middle- Sadie is riding an ostrich. I'm the one waving madly at the camera...



Here are some pictures of Sadie and Griffin on the boat... I was amazed that not a single child attempted to jump out of the boat... I was especially amazed that Sadie didn't!





Here's Dana and Amelia. I think Amelia's about 9 months old now.
Sadie and me on the train.

Sadie climbing rocks near our picnic table...
This is Sadie's witch costume. She seems to be very much at peace with her dark side...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home