Friday, November 17, 2006

I got the thingy!

I procured a new card reader, and now, without further ado, I'll post some pics from our trip to Charleston. First, however, check out Sadie as she refuses to give Daddy back his glasses....



Sadie takes a break from staring at her reflection in the glass....


Throw your hands up in the air... and wave 'em around like you just don't care...
Sadie attempts to "help" us with the laundry...

And this is what happens when Sadie attempts to "help" us FOLD the laundry...


Sadie and Obi in full relaxation mode....


Now, on to Charleston. I must confess that our selection of photos is rather lame. No historic buildings or southern belles or anything like that. I spent most of my time at the conference, and whenever we were in the historic downtown area, we forgot to take our camera along.

This is the "Audubon Swamp Garden" at the historic Magnolia Plantation. We took a short hike, because we didn't have to pay to do so. The plantation itself was a whopping $14 or so per person, and we pulled in at 4 pm and thought it would be ridiculous to pay at that point.

Very primordial looking. Or primieval. It's prime something, for sure.

Strollers and bobbing primitive wooden bridges traversing swampland are not compatible.


Don't let the placid look on Sadie's face fool you. She wants to free herself from the bondage of strollerdom.
Sadie went off with Redmond during the day whilst I conferenced. Here, they played in the sand somewhere. I think he took her to the beach. You can tell this picture is somewhere beachy by the sand behind Sadie. Then again, this could be a giant sandbox. Anyway, she's cute.

Sadie struts her new walking style. She still reverts back to crawling when she wants to get somewhere in a hurry.

There is no way I would have managed to get out of Charleston without Redmond getting to see the ships and stuff at Patriot's Point. This is a giant aircraft carrier, which we toured. We also managed to squeeze ourselves and Sadie into a teeny, claustrophobic submarine. I have no idea how anyone can serve on a submarine without a huge supply of Paxil or Xanax.

Here's the USS Yorktown. Despite the fact that it would have never occurred to me to visit ships before I met Redmond, I actually enjoyed myself.
On the top deck (you Navy types will mock me for my lack of proper terminology), there were bunches of airplanes. Here, Redmond and Sadie pose in front of one. If you REALLY want to see pictures of all the planes and boats, e-mail me, as I have many more.

Redmond and Sadie in the cockpit of a little fake plane for kids. I guess she's going to be a pilot someday...
Although pilots don't generally turn around and poke the noses of their co-pilots...

This was a tired-looking Sadie and me, sitting in the dining area of that claustrophobic submarine. This was about the largest space on the entire boat. Yikes!

So, we also visited Edisto Beach State Park and Charleston proper. No pictures. We ate seafood in a restaurant that overlooked the Intracoastal Waterway and watched dolphins swim by during sunset. Guess what? No camera. Ugh. But we did find it impossible to resist the cheesy, kitchsy wonderland that is South of the Border. Blame Pedro. He beckoned to us over miles of billboards. Sadie and Redmond pose in front of the sign.
No trip to South of the Border is complete without placing small children on silly plastic animals. Here's Sadie on her first Zebra printed Giraffe.

3 Comments:

Blogger amom2twins said...

Pedro let's adults sit on his plastic animals too! We did that on the way to our honeymoon which was Robert's first trip to South of the Border. Sadie just keeps getting cuter and cuter. And the walking thing is very cool!

10:44 PM  
Blogger kaycee said...

Thanks for the pictures! We've been thinking of y'all and wondering what you are up to. Did you see the Leonids? Milo is walking, too! Let's get together soon.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am the Program Manager for the Navy's annual museum ship inspections around the country...yes, the Navy still cares about their older ships. I enjoyed your write-up and glad you enjoyed Patriot's Point. Sadie is a cutie!

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home