Monday, April 07, 2008

More New York pics

So, it's now been so long since our New York trip that I've already forgotten what half of these pictures represent! I'll try my best!

This is the front of the Dakota, the apartment building where John Lennon lived and where he was shot. He was shot in front of the planter with the small shrub, to the right of the entrance. There is now a commemorative garden for him in a nearby section of Central Park called "Strawberry Fields".

This is Trump Tower. A tiny one bedroom condo here will set you back at least 1.2 million dollars.
The crazy two dimensional looking Time Warner buildings.
Some cool looking skyscraper I can't quite recall.


Here are a few pictures I snapped at MoMA. I wish I had more time in the museum- I was working with a few hours to spare while Redmond attended a taping of David Letterman with a work buddy who happened to be in the area and had a spare ticket. I never did locate Dali's "Persistence of Memory", you know, the painting with the melting clocks... I guess I'll have to go back, eh?

If you want to have a chuckle, stand by any Jackson Pollack painting and count how many times a passer-by remarks to his or her buddy "I could have painted that!"


Yay! Gold Marilyn Monroe, by Andy Warhol!
And, of course, the Campbell soup cans. Warhol was one of the first artists I really noticed as a child. We had a couple of Warhols at Norfolk's Chrysler Museum, and I remember being quite drawn to them when I was young.



Lovely view from the museum courtyard.

Here's a picture of the WTC building site. It was somewhat surreal to be that up close and personal.


This is a lot in lower Manhattan where tiles made by schoolchildren across the country to show their respects after 9-11 have been displayed. Sadly, our tour guide informed us that people are beginning to steal them.
Workers high up in the sky. It's interesting- many iron workers in Manhattan are Mohawk/Iroquois. Apparently, they have little fear of heights. I felt my heart palpitate just looking up there!
How soon we forget- I totally knew what that building was in the distance, but now I've forgotten. Met Life?



Random sumo wrestler on the side of a building.

The NY Museum of Natural History/Rose Center for Earth and Space. We spent the good part of an entire day here, and enjoyed the planetarium and IMAX offerings.

Every building should have its own personal robot.
Redmond couldn't resist this billboard. I think he first discovered women when he saw Princess Leia and the gold bikini in "Return of the Jedi".

The giant screens all over Times Square are mesmerizing. Times Square is like a ginormous shrine to consumerism.



And, we're on Broadway.

The Shubert Theater, home to Monty Python's "Spamalot". Redmond and I both enjoyed the play. North Carolina's own Clay Aiken played the role of Sir Robin.


We visited the "Top of the Rock" at the Rockefeller Center. There is an amazing observation deck at the top of the building. Here is some crystal that was embedded in the walls inside the building.

The Empire State Building from the Top of the Rock.
A couple of pictures that show the city lights at night.


The arch in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. I fell in love with Brooklyn. We spent an evening walking around Prospect Park and Park Slope. I wish our pictures had turned out. The brownstones and tree lined streets are lovely.

2 Comments:

Blogger Poppy said...

Great Photos!

I gotta tell ya I love how you so nonchalantly mention NC's own Clay Aiken...like you don't lus...err, love him too :) Embrace that Clay love hon!

Try giving me a buzz some Friday on your way home...that's the best weekday for me.

*hugs*

2:24 PM  
Blogger amom2twins said...

I would so love to go to the MOMA but I'm glad you got to go and with the pic's it's like I was there too! ;)
So who were the guests on Letterman that day?

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home